Jane is recognized as one of the top franchise lawyers in St. Louis. She has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America for franchise law since 1995. In 2015, Jane was named “Franchise Lawyer of the Year” in St. Louis in The Best Lawyers in America. She has also been listed in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers Magazine for franchise law.
Jane has been representing parties on all sides of franchise and dealer/distribution law since 1985. She reviews FDDs and advises clients regarding franchise opportunities. She drafts and negotiates dealer and supply agreements. She litigates issues surrounding such agreements on behalf of franchisors, manufacturers, franchisees, and dealers (including mediation and arbitration). As early as 1990, before franchise/dealer arbitrations were commonplace, Jane successfully represented a manufacturer in a dealer termination case, removing the case to federal court and compelling arbitration.
Jane serves as an arbitrator and mediator in franchise/dealer disputes nationwide. She is an arbitrator on the commercial and construction panels for the American Arbitration Association, including large and complex cases. She also serves as an arbitrator and mediator for Alaris Alternative Dispute Resolution as well as a neutral for matters pending before the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri, the Circuit Court in the County of St. Louis, Missouri and the Circuit Court in the City of St. Louis, Missouri.
Recent Articles, Presentations, and Activities in Practice Area
- Co-Author, Arbitration Chapter, Franchise Litigation Handbook (Second Edition) (expected to be published in the Fall of 2021)
- Presenter, “License or Franchise: What’s the Difference – Legally Speaking,” 16th Annual Missouri Bar Solo & Small Firm Conference (2011)
- Co-Author, “Proposed Arbitration Fairness Act of 2009: Friend or Foe in Franchising,” The Franchise Lawyer, Vol. 3 No. 2, Spring 2010
- Co-Author, “Trade Secrets, Trademarks, Copyrights, Trade Dress and Domain Names – The Protection of Intellectual Capital,” The St. Louis Bar Journal, Fall 2006
- Presenter, “Substance over Form: Structuring a Business Relationship to Avoid becoming an Unintentional Franchisor,” 24th Annual St. Louis Corporate Counsel Institute (2005)
- Author, “Do Your Homework: Some Things to Consider before Buying a Franchise,” St. Louis Small Business Monthly, Vol. 17, Issue IV (2004)
- Co-Author, “Good Faith and Fair Dealing: A Primer on the Differences Between the United States and Canada” ABA Franchise Law Journal, 22 Franchise L.J. 37 (2002)
- Presenter, “Franchise and Dealer Terminations,” 21st Annual St. Louis Corporate Counsel Institute (2002)
- Co-Author, “Encroachment: The Hannibal Lecter of Franchising.” The St. Louis Bar Journal, Spring 2001
- Actively involved in American Bar Association Forum on Franchising (member since 1985)
- Nominating Committee (2013)
- Diversity Caucus Steering Committee (2012-2015)
- Women’s Caucus Steering Committee (2007-2010)
- Solo and Small Firm Task Force (2004-2007)
- Chair, Franchise Law Committee of the Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis (1990-1991)